Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The sounds of Fifty Shades

Mood...Ready
Music: Well this whole post is about it, so let's get to it!

I'm gonna jump right in. My current obsession is Fifty Shades of Grey. If you haven't read any of the books in the trilogy, then please, reorganize your priorities and get that ass to Target where it is 20% off. I'll wait. Jeopardy music. Did you get it? Good. Now, give up life as you know it, go read it, and come back and read this post.

In reference to even just the first book in the series, music is all over the place. E. L. James mentions actual titles and artists frequently to set the scene. I certainly appreciate it. Some, well actually a lot, of the music, I'd never heard of . In order to complete my circle of obsession, I knew it was time to gather all the music in one place, so I could listen and, ya know, see what pops up?

These are a list of songs that play in my own twisted head as I read the first book. Click this link, Music From Fifty Shades of Grey, for a list of songs that are really mentioned in the text. If you use Spotify, look up For Fifty, where you can listen to all the songs I've listed, plus the one from the link above.

If you haven't read the book, and intend to, PLEASE LEAVE THIS POST NOW! It is not my wish to ruin anything for anyone. Instead, I wish to pull at the already tightly knotted gray ties of those who have read the book, and can't get enough.

My thoughts are in red

Snow Patrol - "Just Say Yes" - The contract, sign it, don't sign it?
Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris"
Coldplay - "Paradise" - self explanatory
Coldplay - "Trouble" - plays in Mr. Grey's head as Ana leaves him
Maxwell - "Till the Cops Com Knockin' " - there is a bass line in this song that radiates through my bones. Every time Christian goes from calm, closes his eyes, then opens them with the intense hunger that Ana sees, the bass lines plays.
Maxwell - "This Woman's Work" - Maxwell does this moan cry thing that is Ana's "hallelujah". The softness of this song plays more in my head in the second book of the series.
Meshell Ndegocello - "Fool of Me" - Ana tortures herself with this song when she thinks of the way Christian makes her feel.
Heart - Barracuda - that riff, (I think that is what its called), from the beginning of the track,  is a great intro into whenever life in Seattle goes from normal, to "this shit is about to go crazy!"
Zapp & Roger - "Computer Love" - This is one of my favorite songs ever. I am so happy to share it with you all. Perfect for the email communication over the LOANED Macbook.
Lauryn Hill - "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"
Nine Inch Nails - "Closer" - Come on guys! You knew that had to make the list. Welcome to the Playroom. I can smell the leather.
Radiohead - "Creep" - Can't have a story about a hot freak weirdo and not play this song.
K's Choice - "Not an addict". Christian is explaining The Contract.
The Breeders - "Cannonball" - Hmmm, hot sex! Okay, I said it!
The Breeders - "Do You Love Me Now?" - plays as a tearful Ana recalls her first ass slapping experience.
Bjork - "It's Oh So Quiet" - Ana realizes she has feelings for Christian.
Norah Jones - "I've Got To See You Again" - This plays as Ana sees Christian the first time. Record scratches to a halt when she falls into his office. Starts up again as she gazes at him from the ground. The music continues on low volume as she continues the interview and shifts nervously in her seat. The songs finishes as she attempts to regain her breath outside of his office building. WOW!
Norah Jones - "Turn Me On" - As Ana awaits that a possible first kiss to happen on the street, post their first cup of coffee,  Did I mention that my heart was soaring as he held her hand?
Kelly Clarkston - "The Trouble With Love Is" - Ana in turmoil
R Kelly - "Tempo Slow" - Ana's innocence goes bye bye to this.
Janet Jackson - "Any Time Any Place" - this could play at any time any place


Please LEAVE COMMENTS and let me know what you think. What would you add? And where?

Laters, babe




3 comments:

bridgett said...

20% yes please!!

phatcheex said...

I would like to add Bonnie Tyler's "I need a Hero!" to the list. For every time Mr. Grey rides in on his white horse and saves the damn day!

vanessa said...

I am still laughing. Love this post.