Monday, July 2, 2012

Just A Little Hot - Part I

Mood: Happy :)
Music: Zoe Deschanel

Wow Georgia! That was one hot ass weekend! And not because I was sashaying around in a bathing suit but because it was 106 damn degrees! I am not much for profanity, even though my first few sentences don't represent that, but it is safe to say that it was hot as Insert Four Letter Word.

So, keeping cool was the goal and having fun was an added bonus.

Friday morning me and the lil biscuits headed to the homey Mónica's house for some pool time fun. Sounds great huh? Welllllll, there was one issue. Bear, for days, was saying that he didn't want to go to the pool. He doesn't like "water play" at daycare when the kids run through a fun sprinkler thing. And he claims that he also doesn't like pools.

I've noticed that my first born has become more apprehensive around all sorts of things that I'd think he would enjoy. Such as, water play, bounce houses, and playing outside with water baloons. I'm not sure what is the cause. Oh, well there is the fact that up until I was 18 I was pretty much a sissy and afraid to do anything that didn't require a television remote or funnel with a plastic tube attached. Maybe he is just being my son.
I really wanted him to get into the pool even if he didn't want to make it his new fave hobby. I want him to walk through his fears and at the end of the day say " I did it. Even though I didn't want to. I ate that calamari or brussel sprout even though it looked different. I smiled at that lady in church even though she wears huge hats and sings very badly, very loud.  I went to bed at 7:30, no problem, and I really did feel well rested in the morning."

So, back to Friday morning, approximatley 10:30 am as we arrive at Mónica's new cutely decorated apartment. Bear has on his trunks already and I've convinced him that they are by no means a contractual agreement to do anything. The kids are very excited as we tour the homey's new place and they get to play with her Ipad.

Mónica applauding my children's fat germy fingers gliding across her Ipad.

Bear then starts getting a tad bit shifty as I take out the sunscreen, 70 spf cause I don't play, and starts to say "Don't want to go to the pool". I lie to him and tell him he doesn't have to get in the pool and he can just watch us.

The pool was beautiful. Best part? There was not a soul in it. I'd had a conversation with Bear the previous night to ask him why he doesn't like pools. It was determined that they are loud and windy.

Bear looking around as if to say "What you talkin bout wind?"
  
So having a pool all to ourselves was a dream come true. We could be quiet, calm and ease him into the fun. As far as the wind, I wish there had been more. When it's 100+ degrees wind is welcome. When the slightest breeze occured, like Thumbelina blowing out birthday candles, Bear would complain and get nervous. I told him that the wind was God waving down on us to say Hello. And in response, we looked up to the skies and waved Hello back. That worked absolutley wonderful. When the air was calm from no wind, Bear would say that God left. I reassured him that God never leaves, he just stopped waving. I sure do love when a lesson about the Lord gets worked into our day to day.

The next thing that really came in handy was having a Mónica in my life. As Gia and I entered the pool, and started to giggle with glee, Mónica watched patiently with Bear in their lounge chairs.Then, baby steps to sit next to the pool, baby steps put a hand in the water, then feet in the water. Before I knew it Bear was in his car shaped floating device, in the pool, with Miss Mónica guiding him around. And my baby boy was smiling. He eventually even took off his tank top and played in the water, without the car shaped floaty thing.











"I like this pool", Bear said. My heart melted. Yay team Bear!

No comments: